Speak With a Relaxed Body and Mind
by: Sandra Schrift
Fear of public speaking is No.1. Death is No.4. So most people would rather get a root canal and pay their taxes than speak in front of an audience!
1. Sure you have catecholamines all speakers do (including Sir Winston Churchill and Presidents Kennedy, Carter, and Reagan). These are the chemicals that make you sweat, make your heart beat fast, and make your hands shake. Get rid of those chemical and psychological reactions by becoming message-centered and audience-centered, not self-centered,
2. Replace fear and negative noise with positive affirmations. Create new beliefs that nurture you and support you with new ways of thinking. The New Adult You! For example, I am well prepared, and the audience wants me to succeed.
3. Do a quiet meditation, visualization, or exercise before you speak. Breathe deeply. Deep breathing sends a message to your brain that you have nothing to fear. It calms you down.
4. Who cares if youíre nervous? Researchers have found that most people report noticing little or no anxiety in a speaker. If you are thoroughly prepared, your internal nervousness seldom shows. Prepare 150%.]
5. The Coach Sez... Practice in front of your mirror. Practice in the car. If you can concentrate while driving, you will be able to pull what you need from your unconscious when you are in front of the group. Make your points sound spontaneous and conversational.
6. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse. Talk out loud, and walk around while you practice. Use the same physical energy you plan to use on the day of your presentation.
7. Exercise is antidote to stress. Arrive early and take a brisk walk for at least five minutes. If it is raining or snowing outside, you can still do some body stretches.
8. Abstain from caffeine and alcohol before you speak. You donít need more jitters. Always wear your favorite outfit and use attractive colors. Women, go simple on the jewelry. Avoid too much black and white.
9. The Coach Sez... Most of all, enjoy yourself and have a fun. SMILE. After all, arenít you glad to be there? The sign of a mature adult is that you are not taking yourself too seriously
10. For trembling hands, place your hand son the side of your chair and count to 10 as you try to lift the seat. This is an isometric exercise that works and nobody will notice you doing it.
11. Donít be perfect. Give yourself permission to make mistakes, No one is perfect in real life. Get the butterflies in your stomach to fly in formation. Thatís who you convert your stress into speaking power!
12. Reduce your nervousness by taking several deep breaths immediately before youíre introduced. And for you chocoholics, eat some chocolate to relax your vocal chords.
13. If you experience dry mouth, chew your tongue to increase saliva flow. Singers do this. Close your lips and bite down on the entire surface. Always have a glass of tepid(not cold) water nearby.
14. Focus on a friendly face in the audience. Pretend you are having a conversation, rather than giving a speech. Just be yourself.
15. Here is a vocal warm-up exercise used at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London. Say, PaPaPaPa, BaBaBaBa, TaTaTaTa, DaDaDaDa, KaKaKaKa, GaGaGaGa. Then do it backwards. (Courtesy of Robert and Rande Gedaliah)
Publishing Guidelines: You are welcome to publish this article in its entirety, electronically, or in print fre*e of charge, as long as you include my full signature file for ezines, and my Web site address (http://www.schrift.com) in hyperlink for other sites. Please send a courtesy link or email where you publish to email@example.com Thank you.
About The Author
Sandra Schrift 13 year speaker bureau owner and now career coach to emerging and veteran public speakers who want to "grow" a profitable speaking business. I also work with business professionals and organizations who want to master their presentations. To find out HOW TO MAKE IT AS A PROFESSIONAL SPEAKER, go to http://www.schrift.com/success_resources.htm. Join my free bi-weekly Monday Morning Mindfulness ezine http://www.schrift.com/monday.htm
To start receiving PowerMeUp.com's powerful 7-day Goal Setting and Getting course and the helpful, insightful articles and information, once a day for a week and then about once a week after that, enter your information below and click on the button that says "Start Achieving Now!"
Be sure to enter your primary email address and double check it for accuracy.
Your course will be delivered there along with the download link for your special bonus, "Inside The Minds of Winners" by Charles Burke.
This course requires that you confirm your desire to enroll. Please confirm your enrollment by following the simple instructions found in the confirmation message. You will not receive the course or the bonus book if you do not follow these steps.
Your information is safe! We hate spam as much as you do, and we will not share your address or information with anyone.
THE MOST POWERFUL PERSONAL
GROWTH TOOL ON EARTH
Experience powerful FREE on-line demo
of what many describe as "the most powerful personal
growth/mind development tool on Earth."
FOR COMPLETE DETAILS...